Winter months are a magical time of the year. Snow and ice, bundling up in our favorite sweater, hot cocoa, fireplaces, snow days, and sledding are just a few of our favorite things this time of year, but the cold, dry air can wreak havoc on our skin. In addition to the changes in the environment, we tend to use more drying heat to stay cozy in our house and take longer, warmer showers. All of that combined tends to dry out our skin. Dry skin tends to be irritable skin. It's even worse for our friends who have compromised skin already, such as those with aging skin, eczema and psoriasis.
While you are waiting for those warmer, lazy, humid days of summer, here are a few simple steps you can do to keep your skin healthy all year long!
1) Cleanse the skin with a gentle cleanser bar
or liquid. Ditch the washcloth or loofah - the mechanical abrasion can sometimes dry out the skin.
2) When taking a shower or bath, try to lower the temperature a bit; the hotter the water, the more drying it can be.
3) When drying off, pat the skin dry rather than wiping it. This minimizes the mechanical irritation to the skin.
4) Place a ceramide rich moisturizer on the entire body 1-2X per day - preferably within a few minutes of getting out of the bath or shower.
5) Reapply moisturizer throughout the day as needed and after each hand washing to keep hands in tip top shape!
6) Take advantage of the long hours of the evening and sleep time to apply extra hydration before bed. I love to use a combination of Save the Wave Skincare Nourishing Everything Oil
and Biomarine Cream
to the delicate tissues on the face, neck, and chest.
7) If using any anti-aging products (ie Save the Wave Skincare’s Hydrating Retinol Serum
) or any acne products (ie benzoyl peroxide), you may need to decrease its use to every other day if dryness or irritation develops.
8) Whatever you do, DO NOT forget your daily sun protection
. Yes, that means in all 4 seasons Winter, spring, summer, or fall, you need it. In addition to one of our 5 amazing chemical free sunscreens, protect your skin every day from the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation, with our topical 20% Vitamin C Serum
So, get out and enjoy this magical time of the year with family and friends and with just a little care, you can keep your amazing skin protected and healthy.